What Is Boho Furniture?
The word “boho” has different meanings to different people. However, it is generally agreed that its main principle is full of personality and color. It is not overly decorated or embellished, but instead relies on the power of statement pieces. This style aims to create a sense of warmth and intimacy with items that are handcrafted and one-of-a-kind.
The boho style focuses more on a general sense of freedom and creativity. In this article, we'll explore what this type of design is all about, including tips for choosing the perfect table, different shapes, design tips, history of the table, inspiration, and even how to create your own.
Where Did Boho Furniture Come From?
Bohemian design comes from an early nineteenth century French movement in which artists moved to lower-rent, gypsy communities of Paris (unfortunately gypsy's weren't treated too well). As a result of this, a kind of uprooted lifestyle emerged, where wealth was abandoned in favor of a artistic and less materialistic way of living. While this furniture has been around for a long time, it became increasingly popular during the modern art movement in the 1960s and 1970s. It is characterized by its use of natural materials such as wood, metals, tile and stone, with an overall "simple" look.
Top Tips For Choosing a Table
- Get the size right coffee table - The table needs to be large enough to hold several plates of food, but not so large that it dominates the space.
- Find a shape that works - Consider the space your table is going into, is there a lot of room to walk around it? Perhaps a square shape, if you have a smaller apartment maybe consider a round or hexagon shape so that it's easy to get around.
- Consider the material - The table should be easy to clean and remain free from scratches to ensure a good lifespan.
- Keep it simple - Tables with a lot of angles and layers can become a chore to keep clean from a build up of dust.
- Consider storage options Do you have a lot of storage in your space or do you need somewhere to store books, magazines, blankets, etc? Perhaps a table with drawers, or more of a full storage table that opens up could suit your needs.
- Choose based on your needs - Are you going to be writing or perhaps sketching and painting on the table? Make sure it's at a good height while your sitting on the floor with ample leg room. Or maybe you need a place to park your feet at the end of the day. A table that's keeps your legs level or with a slight decline with keep your legs or feet from going numb!
- Make sure it matches your theme - You'll want to make sure it fits your overall theme, not sure if it does? Make a mood board using a design program like Canva or Pinterest and assemble all of your furtniture, art, wall color, decor, etc into a board to get an overall theme.
Create a Moodboard For Your Living Room
How do you incorporate a table into an existing space? You can create a living room moodboard to find the perfect scheme, experiment with different textures and patterns, and introduce new furniture into your space without spending a lot of money. Find photos of your living room items and assemble them using design software.
How Moodboards Help With Interior Design
It's a great idea to start any creative project with a moodboard. As a result, you will be able to better define your ideas and get a sense of what you are trying to accomplish. It's also just fun! There are no rules when it comes to creating moodboards - they can be digital or analogue. Don't be afraid to experiment!
You should consider a few factors with your rooms theme:
- Color - Color can do wonders for the emotion of the room - bright, light and airy? Or a cozy dark escape.
- Texture - Are the materials hard and rigid serving purpose, or warm and inviting and you never want to leave?
- Materials - Certain materials will last longer than others keep this in mind.
- Lighting - Do you want a hard light to showcase details or soft light? Is there good natural lighting in the space?
- Physical Space - Is there enough room to freely move around the furniture. Will the items fit well?
- Emotion - What's the overall emotion of the room you're going for?
- Function - Is this a room for work? Play room for the kids? Entertaining lots of guests?
A well designed space can help you benefit from its therapeutic effects on your mood. Yet, many people design their homes without considering this effect or how to use it to create spaces that are truly unique to them.
How Do I Create a Moodboard?
To build a moodboard, we’d suggest signing up to Canva. Once you have a table in mind you can find a lot of accents and ideas on Pinterest and Houzz are some great services that you can easily spend hours browsing for ideas. We also find amazing products on Etsy, Wayfair and Amazon.
- Start by placing the largest pieces of furniture in the middle of the board (typically your couch and coffee table.
- Working out from there place your second largest items around such as side tables, plants, chairs, lighting.
- Finally start to bring in your accents such as pillows, pots, pictures, etc.
- Rearrange the items as needed and give them a little bit of white space while overlapping some elements.
Wood Coffee Tables & Durability
Your coffee table is going to see a lot of use and you'll want it to remain durable and strong. It is important for furniture in constant use to be hard enough that it won't dent or scratch easily as softer woods although durability is not the only factor to consider. Some of the hardest woods are also the densest. High humidity can cause high-density woods to warp or crack. In addition, slightly softer woods are more workable, meaning screws and nails easily penetrate the wood, making for stronger joints. So the question is, what kind of wood should you be going for? These are some of the more popular woods to look for in a table:
- Walnut - Although it can be costly, it is very hard and durable wood
- Maple - One of the hardest types of wood in North America and is extremely durable
- Oak - Most commonly used on cabinets, has a fair bit of texture but will last a long time
- Hickory - Has a great rustic look and feel, it's quite dense so could be prone to warping and cracking in humid climates
- Pine - Cheaper on the list of woods and easy to work with if you're building your own table, a more popular option with a nice stain
Exploring Different Table Shapes
The boho coffee table is an object that serves as both a functional coffee table and an artistic conversation piece. They typically take the shape of a rectangle, but other shapes are possible including circular, square or oval. The main material used for this type of table is wood. Other materials include metal, marble, concrete, and glass. Wood can be painted or stained to match the color scheme of any room it is placed in.
Round Coffee Table
A round table is a good choice for smaller spaces
Square Coffee Table
A square table is good for those with a lot of space and want to maximize it
Rectangle Coffee Table
A rectangular table is perfect for those who like to display their decor.
Hexagon Coffee Table
A hexagon table allows you to show off many different sides of your decor.
Build Your Own Table
Feeling like taking on a new project? There's a lot of great DIY tutorials out there. Add some rustic style to your interior design. They're typically made of woods on the cheaper end, driftwood, bamboo, or faux wood, but there's tons of options for material. The best part about making your own is that you can customize it with whatever you want, to any size.
4 Interior Design Tips For a Bohemian Look
A bohemian look might involve billowing fabrics, mixing old and new trends, and adding lots of layers or patterns for some people. And then, there are those who perceive the style as more earthy and grounded, with an emphasis on natural fabrics and muted tones.
No matter how you choose to create your style, a bohemian look should always feel effortless and cozy while bringing out your personality. Think about mixing and matching different patterns, textures, and objects found on your adventures to create an eclectic yet cohesive look.
- Opt for furniture in natural materials such as wood, rattan, and wicker. Whether it's a sturdy oak table or a delicate wicker chair, wood furniture has a way of making a house feel like a home. And while there are many different types of wood furniture to choose from, we think rattan and wicker furniture is some of the most beautiful. Rattan and wicker furniture is made from natural materials, so it has a warm and inviting feel. And because it's made from natural materials, it's also environmentally friendly. Rattan and wicker furniture is also very durable, so you can enjoy it for years to come.
- Choose pieces with an organic shape and plenty of curves. Organic shapes can add a sense of style and sophistication to a room. In addition, it is more comfortable to sit in or recline on, as they conform more closely to the body's natural curves. In today's world of straight lines and angles, organic furniture can help create a warm and inviting space.
- Add colorful accents such as cushions, rugs, and throws. Reds, oranges, and yellows are all great choices, and they'll add a touch of fun and excitement to any room. If you want something a little more subdued, try earthy tones like browns, cream, and greens. These colors will give your space a calming feeling while still allowing you to express your personality.
- Experiment! - that's part of what makes bohemian style so fun! Don’t be afraid to mix and match different styles – the more eclectic the better! Whether you live in a small apartment or a large house, explore different interior design styles and create your own little oasis. If you have the freedom to paint or decorate, choose colors and patterns that make you happy and reflect your style. If you love art, consider hanging some of your favorite pieces on the walls.
Evolution of The Bohemian Style
The modern bohemianism we know today has changed a lot since the 1800s. The bohemian movement, once characterized by free-thinking and nonconformity, has now become mainstream, with many young people adopting its values and aesthetics. Some people see this as a positive thing, but others say it's lost its spirit.
There's no doubt that modern bohemianism has changed a lot. It used to be that bohemians were poor artists or intellectuals who lived on the margins. Today, however, many successful and wealthy people identify as bohemians. The change is praised as a positive sign because it represents the acceptance of bohemian values - creativity, openness, and tolerance.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is boho furniture?
Boho furniture is a type of eclectic furniture that incorporates different styles and designs into one cohesive look. It often features natural materials like wood and wicker, as well as earthy colours and patterns. Boho furniture is perfect for people who want to create a relaxed, casual atmosphere in their homes.
What materials are used in boho coffee tables?
When it comes to boho coffee tables, there are a variety of materials that can be used. Some of the most popular options include wood, metal, and glass. Each material has its own unique benefits and drawbacks that should be considered before making a purchase. Wood is a common choice for coffee tables because it is durable and often looks nice. It can also be stained or painted to match any decor. However, wood can be heavy and may not be the best option for small spaces. Metal is another popular choice for coffee tables because it is often very sturdy and can withstand a lot of wear and tear. It also comes in a variety of colors and styles, making it easy to find one that will match any decor. However, metal can be cold to the touch and may not be ideal for use in warm climates. Glass is another option that has become increasingly popular in recent years. It is often seen as a more elegant option than wood or metal, but it can also be fragile if not treated properly. Glass coffee tables are also typically more expensive than other options.
What is a boho table?
The bohemian style, also known as boho chic, is a popular fashion trend. With warm colors, and plants, and creating a comfortable atmosphere, this style is all about being unique and free-spirited. While the bohemian look can be achieved with different furniture pieces, one key element to creating this aesthetic in your home is by incorporating a boho table. A boho table can be anything from a colorful coffee table to an intricately carved side table.