Creating a contemporary and modern design for your space is an exciting endeavor that allows you to embrace clean lines, simplicity, and a sleek aesthetic. This design style is characterized by its timeless appeal, functionality, and versatility, making it a popular choice for those seeking a fresh and sophisticated look. By carefully curating elements such as color palette, furniture selection, lighting, and accessories, you can transform your space into a modern oasis that reflects your personal style. In this guide, we will explore the key principles and tips to help you style your space in a contemporary and modern manner, creating an environment that is visually appealing, functional, and in tune with the latest design trends. Whether you're revamping your living room, bedroom, or office, let's delve into the world of contemporary and modern design and discover how to achieve a stylish and timeless look that truly embodies the essence of modern living.
Conspicuous wood grain and ascetic shape create perfect harmony. Best for a modern interior. This low-profile modern coffee table is made of wood veneer and oiled for a natural feeling. The base is covered in matte black paint to make it invisible.
- Modern, sleek design
- Low profile
- A beautiful example of a low-profile, modern table that would like great in a minimally designed space.
- The space at the bottom of the table gives it the appearance that it's floating off the floor, a unique and creative method we love to see.
Featuring Scandinavian influences and copper accents, the Peyla Coffee Table is available in a variety of solid wood combinations. We offer a wide variety of wood types, or we can provide a custom quote based on your requirements. The wood shown here is Black Walnut and Cherry on Brazilian Cherry.
- Scandinavian influences
- A variety of options are available
- A beautifully designed table with Scandinavian influences. The copper accent strip on the ends of the table is also a stunning addition and adds that little something extra in our eyes.
Offering a slimmer twist than our other chestnut piece, this mid-century modern coffee table comes with a depth of 15”. A splurge worthy piece - the classic chestnut coloring lends an age-old story to the wood, contrasting just a pinch with the modern turn of the angled oak legs. Place in front of the fireplace or by the sky-lit window and let the shifting colors highlight the natural splendor of this style.
- Slim design
- Classic chestnut
- Clean design, we really like the thin wood giving this piece a more slender look and feel
- Nothing over the top with this table, clean and classic
Our 100% handmade coffee table looks eye-catching with its rustic and modern look. It is made of 1st class pine solid wood. Installation is quick and simple. Industrial sanded tabletop leaves a perfectly smooth finish well-suited for meals, games, or simply as a footstool.
- Solid pine wood
- Rustic and modern look
- We find it rare to see pine wood being the main choice out of all the Etsy tables we've reviewed. The wood is beautiful and the stain they use really shows off the textures throughout.
All natural finishes provide durable dirt and water resistance. Available in Walnut, maple, and Cherry. Walnut is shown in the first listing picture. Depending on species, available stock and width/depth your table may be made of anywhere from one to three slabs joined together to get desired width/depth.
- All natural finishes
- Multiple wood choices
- A nice selection of wood
- Customizable sizes
- Great reviews
There are many versions of the kidney bean table out there, and after looking for inspiration in tables of the past, this is my interpretation. I wanted the curve of the table to be continuous while keeping the proportions pleasing to the eye. I wanted it to be sleek and modern looking while staying true to the original design. I also wanted to use materials that perfectly fit the period, to complement people's existing mid-century collections.
- Kidney bean shape
- Proportional shape
- A kidney bean shape isn't something we see too often and is a refreshing shape on coffee tables
- The surface of the table is finished in a way that really lets the grain of the wood shine through
Conspicuous wood grain and ascetic shape create a perfect harmony. This low profile modern coffee table is made of wood veneer and finished with hardwax oil for a natural feeling. Best for a modern interior.
- Conspicuous wood grain
- Ascetic shape
- Low profile design
- Wood veneer
- Hardwax oil finish
This hand fashioned rounded edge solid walnut coffee table is made to order with your space in mind. Floating, bespoke, simple lines, solid construction, and tapered rounded legs complete this elegant piece. Bound to be an up and coming mid century modern classic! The dimensions are 24”WX48”LX17”H.
- Made to order
- Tapered legs
- Rounded edges
- Satin finish
- Oil-based varnish
- Matte, semigloss, or gloss option
- beige bamboo
- beige rattan
- brown bamboo
- brown rattan
- beige color
- brown color
- Perfect condition
- Retro & Bohemian look
- No cons
Modern coffee table with its set of two round nesting tables for a space-saving solution in your living room. You can be arranged in multiple ways, using them as a coffee table, end tables, or side tables. The small table gives you extra space to store magazines and toys and makes your room tidy and neat. Compact size and lightweight design, easy to move and carry.
- Arrange in multiple ways
- Gold, white, and black modern style
- They stack nicely
- Great for small spaces
- Looks luxurious
- Not easy to assemble
- Customers reported missing parts
- The white was not as shown in the photos
- Poor packaging causing damage to table
This all natural high end coffee table has a very clean and unique look, it's made to appear like it's floating. Table top and base are both 2" thick, making it substantial enough to last for a long time. It provides very useful storage space.
- Clean and unique look
- Very useful storage space
- Higher price point
The collection is made with strong materials like toughened wood and has a sturdy iron base. Each piece is hand-finished, making them all unique and adding a personal touch. One thing to note is that it's quick to put together! You only need five minutes to attach the legs, and you're all set.
- Hand-finished to make each piece truly unique
- 5 minute assembly
- Modern, Contemporary
- Some assembly required
Featuring a simplistic design and metallic colors, this table will add a modern touch to your home. A clean, cylindrical shape and convenient table lip make this accent table set the perfect addition to any decor. Due to its sturdy construction, this table will hold up to heavy use. As a result of this finish, this piece blends seamlessly with a wide range of decor styles.
- Simplistic design and metallic colours
- Iron frame
- Great for small spaces
- Sturdy: iron frame
- Best value for the money
- We did not find a con to this product
A Vintage Rattan Coffee Table made of high quality material. Clean line and smooth tabletop will complement any living room style.
Size : 120 x 120 x 40 cm
The wood grain pattern is unique and eye-catching, while the sleek and simple design fits perfectly in modern interiors. Note that this is made of wood veneer and finished with hardwax oil.
- Modern design
- Low profile
- Finished with hardwax oil
- Made of veneer, not solid wood
What is contemporary design?
Contemporary design refers to a style that is current, relevant, and in line with the present time. It is often characterized by clean lines, minimalism, simplicity, and a focus on functionality. Contemporary design incorporates modern elements while also drawing inspiration from various other styles and trends.
Key features of contemporary design include:
- Clean lines: Contemporary design embraces straight lines and smooth surfaces, creating a sleek and uncluttered appearance.
- Minimalism: A minimalist approach is often seen in contemporary design, with an emphasis on simplicity and the removal of unnecessary ornamentation.
- Neutral color palette: Contemporary spaces typically feature a neutral color scheme, including shades of white, gray, black, and earth tones. Bold pops of color may be used sparingly as accents.
- Use of materials: Contemporary design incorporates a mix of materials such as glass, metal, concrete, and wood. These materials are often used in their natural state or with minimal embellishment.
- Open and airy spaces: Contemporary design favors open floor plans and maximizes natural light to create a sense of spaciousness and fluidity.
- Functionality: Practicality and functionality are key aspects of contemporary design. Furniture and objects are often selected for their utility and efficiency.
- Bold accents: While contemporary design leans towards simplicity, it may incorporate bold accents or statement pieces to add visual interest and personality to a space.
Contemporary design is dynamic and ever-evolving, reflecting the current trends and tastes of the time. It offers a fresh and modern aesthetic that can be adapted to various interior styles and preferences.
Reasons to embrace contemporary design
- Evolving: There are always new and innovative ways to update the look of your home. Contemporary design offers something for everyone.
- Versatility: Contemporary pieces go well with traditional and modern décor. By mixing and matching pieces, you can create your own style.
- Affordable: Because contemporary pieces are constantly evolving, you can always find excellent deals. It's possible to find high-quality items at a fraction of the cost of traditional furniture.
- Open and Airy Spaces: Contemporary design often favors open floor plans and maximizes natural light. This emphasis on spaciousness creates an inviting and breathable environment, making your home feel more comfortable and welcoming.
- Clean and Uncluttered: With its focus on simplicity, contemporary design promotes a clean and uncluttered living space. By eliminating unnecessary ornamentation and embracing minimalism, you can create a calming and serene atmosphere that promotes relaxation and reduces visual distractions.
- Integration of Technology: Contemporary design effortlessly integrates modern technology into the living space. It accommodates the needs of a technology-driven lifestyle, providing seamless solutions for electronics, smart home devices, and entertainment systems.
By embracing contemporary design, you can create a space that is visually appealing, functional, adaptable, and reflective of your personal style. It offers a modern and timeless approach to interior design that enhances both aesthetics and livability.
How to style for a contemporary and modern look?
Styling a contemporary and modern design involves carefully curating elements that emphasize clean lines, simplicity, and a cohesive aesthetic. Here are some tips to help you style your space in a contemporary and modern manner:
- Clean Lines: Emphasize clean, straight lines in your furniture, accessories, and architectural elements. Avoid ornate details and opt for sleek and streamlined designs.
- Neutral Color Palette: Choose a neutral color palette as the base of your design. Use shades of white, gray, beige, and black to create a clean and sophisticated look. You can add pops of color as accents, but keep them minimal and well-balanced.
- Minimalism: Embrace minimalism by decluttering and keeping only essential items on display. Avoid excessive ornamentation or unnecessary decorations. Let the simplicity of the design speak for itself.
- Functional Furniture: Select furniture pieces that are both stylish and functional. Look for pieces with clean lines, smooth surfaces, and hidden storage options. Focus on practicality and choose furniture that serves a purpose in your daily life.
- Materials and Textures: Incorporate a mix of materials such as glass, metal, wood, and concrete to add depth and interest to your space. Use textures sparingly to create visual contrast, but keep them simple and understated.
- Lighting: Pay attention to lighting as it plays a crucial role in contemporary design. Opt for recessed lighting, track lighting, or sleek fixtures that provide ample illumination without overpowering the space. Consider incorporating natural light through large windows or skylights.
- Art and Accessories: Select art pieces and accessories that complement the contemporary style. Choose abstract or minimalist artwork with clean lines and subtle colors. Keep the number of accessories minimal and focus on a few statement pieces that enhance the overall aesthetic.
- Technology Integration: Integrate technology seamlessly into your design. Conceal wires and cables, use smart home devices that blend with the surroundings, and consider built-in charging stations or entertainment systems that don't disrupt the clean lines of the space.
- Open Space: Maintain an open and airy feel by maximizing space and minimizing clutter. Use open shelving or storage solutions to keep belongings organized and easily accessible. Consider an open floor plan to create a flow between different areas.
- Balance and Symmetry: Strive for balance and symmetry in your design. Arrange furniture and accessories in a way that creates a harmonious composition. Pay attention to proportion and scale to ensure that each element complements the overall aesthetic. Organic forms have become more prevalent in recent years. As a result, furniture pieces are becoming more curved rather than angular. The use of natural materials such as wood and stone is also on the rise. The style still maintains its simplicity and functionality despite the overall appearance changing.
Remember, contemporary and modern design is about simplicity, clean lines, and functionality. By carefully curating your choices and maintaining a cohesive look, you can achieve a stylish and timeless contemporary design for your space.
Here is a beautiful video to inspire you to start your modern design:
Styling a contemporary and modern design involves creating a space that embraces simplicity, clean lines, and functionality. By adhering to a neutral color palette, incorporating minimalism, selecting furniture with clean lines, and integrating a mix of materials, you can achieve a sleek and sophisticated look. Lighting, art, and accessories should be chosen thoughtfully to enhance the overall aesthetic, while technology integration should be seamless and unobtrusive. Embracing an open and airy feel, maintaining balance and symmetry, and prioritizing functionality are key principles to consider. By following these guidelines, you can create a contemporary and modern space that is visually appealing, timeless, and reflective of your personal style.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is Charles Rennie Mackintosh?
From June 1868 to December 1928, he lived as a Scottish architect, designer, watercolorist, and artist. His artistic approach was influenced heavily by symbolism. He was praised by great modernists like Josef Hoffmann for their work and contributed to European design movements such as Art Nouveau and Secessionism. He was born in Glasgow and died in London. He is considered to be an important figure in the British Art Nouveau style.
Where did contemporary design come from?
Contemporary art has its roots in the late 19th century. This was the time when new styles and materials were developed by a new generation of creatives. Charles Rennie Mackintosh was a key figure in early contemporary design. His simplified aesthetic replaced the Victorian style, which he rejected as overdone. By experimenting with more stripped-down designs, his work was highly influential. Simple and functional design gained popularity after World War II and became a major focus of many furniture designers in the years that followed.
What is contemporary design?
Contemporary is demonstrated by uncluttered surfaces and clean lines. It does not represent a time period, rather it’s constantly evolving. Contemporary pieces are both functional and aesthetically pleasing that you’ll see on today's interior design blogs, social media, and videos.