The James Hoffman Aeropress Recipe Video
Top tips from the video
- For lighter roasts, get the water nice and boiling hot
- For darker roasts, drop the temperature down to between 85°C (185°F) and 90°C (195°F)
- No matter what type of kettle you use, make sure you fill it with hot water and soak the grind for a couple minutes.
- It's best to press gently, and evenly, without pressing too hard.
- It should take about 30 seconds to press, totaling about 3 minutes from start to finish.
Flavor not quite right? Try these tips to experiment with in order to get the right flavor. It can either be the size of your grinds or the temperature of your coffee. Here are a couple tips you can play around with:
- If the coffee flavor is bitter: Your grind might be too fine, try a more coarse setting. The water could also be too hot for the type of beans that you’re using.
- If the coffee flavor is sour: Get your water boiling hot and try grinding your beans a bit finer.
James Hoffman method vs regular Aeropress
This is a very clean-tasting, fantastic cup of coffee without being too strong. The preparation feels easier than re-pouring hot water in and then flipping the Aeropress onto the cup (not to mention the risk if the plunger/piston comes off - trust us, we know!).
One word of advice I found with this method was after pouring in the hot water, the steam pressure would cause the plunger have more resistance. You'll have to apply a bit of pressure to get it down to the 1cm mark as mentioned in the steps above.
As soon as the timer is ready (after your 2 minutes and then another 30s), you can quickly press the coffee through the grind to ensure it doesn't get too bitter or sour. I feel it's safe to say we'll be trying this method for a while and hope you enjoy it too.
Frequently Asked Questions
What ratio of water to grind should I used in the Aeropress?
Use 11g of coffee, and 200g of boiled water.
My Aeropress coffee has a bitter or sour taste, what can I do?
If the coffee flavor is bitter your grind might be too fine, try a more coarse setting. The water could also be too hot for the type of beans that you’re using. If the coffee flavor is sour then get your water boiling hot and try grinding your beans a bit finer.
Who is James Hoffmann?
James Hoffman is a YouTuber who is also a self-taught filmmaker and shares his love for coffee on his channel. Among the videos he produces are reviews, tips and tricks, historical documentary-style videos, and more.