Flash brew coffee is one of the lesser-known brewing styles, gaining popularity among specialty coffee lovers nowadays. Unlike traditional iced teas that tend to get diluted, flash brews have rich flavors, resulting in vibrant iced coffee. Plus, it takes a fraction of the time you would spend to prepare a cold brew. Discover why flash brew is an excellent alternative to cold brews and traditional iced coffee varieties.
What is Flash Brew Coffee?
Flash brew coffee, or Japanese iced coffee, is a versatile coffee made by pouring hot brewed coffee over ice to cool it rapidly, creating well balanced and nuanced brew.
One advantage of flash brews is its versatility. One can use pour-over, french press, or any other hot brewed coffee to make a flash brew. It allows you to experiment with the unique flavor profiles of the different brewing methods to your preference.
Flash brewing originates from traditional Japanese pour-over coffee brewing methods. Japan is one of the world's biggest coffee importers, with a coffee brewing culture that emphasizes precise brewing variables.
Japanese iced coffee gained popularity in the 1960s when flash brews became a staple in Japanese coffee shops.
As coffee enthusiasts and baristas explored different brewing methods, sharing techniques and the rise of international coffee competitions over the years have contributed to the uptake of flash brew coffee outside Japan.
Additionally, social media and online platforms have helped inspire cover lovers worldwide to experiment with flash brewing, contributing to its popularity and adoption as an alternative option for making iced coffee with pronounced flavor and aroma.
Benefits of Flash Brew Coffee
Flash brew coffee is made by pouring hot water over coffee grounds in a pour-over dripper like the Hario V60. The hot water extracts the flavors as it passes through the coffee and is immediately cooled as it drips onto a layer of ice cubes.
It is a quick brewing process, hence the name flash brew, resulting in a bright and flavorful coffee. Here are some benefits of flash brew coffee that contribute to its popularity as a refreshing summer beverage:
- Speedy Preparation: Unlike cold brews that require hours of steeping, flash brew coffee can be prepared in a matter of minutes, making it a convenient choice for those seeking a quick, refreshing caffeine fix.
- Rich Flavor Profile: The use of hot water in flash brewing allows for a more robust extraction of the coffee's flavors, resulting in a cup that is vibrant, nuanced, and less diluted than traditional iced coffee.
- Versatility: Flash brew coffee can be made using various brewing methods, including pour-over, French press, and more. This versatility allows coffee enthusiasts to experiment with different flavor profiles and brewing techniques.
- Refreshing: The immediate cooling of the coffee preserves its freshness and results in a crisp, clean taste that is perfect for hot summer days.
- Lower Acidity: Despite the use of hot water, flash brewing tends to result in coffee with lower acidity than traditional hot brews, making it a gentler option for those with sensitive stomachs.
Flash brew coffee takes a notably shorter time to prepare than other varieties of iced coffee, such as cold brew. It involves pouring hot water over coffee grounds in a pour-over dripper and letting it drip into a container with ice.
In comparison, cold brewing requires steeping coffee grounds in cold water for several hours. Conventional iced coffee has a similar brewing process, only that the cooling process takes longer before serving with ice.
While most people are familiar with the pour-over method for making flash brew coffee, you can use other hot brewing styles like the French press. However, pour-over or drip methods offer the most convenience, especially when brewing a large batch.
Flash brew coffee has a short extraction period, resulting in a brew with a more vibrant taste profile. Short brew times extract acidic compounds, giving the coffee brightness and a pleasant tang.
Additionally, hot water enables the extraction of a wide range of flavors, so you enjoy the nuanced characteristics of the beans. It is one of the reasons why coffee lovers use specialty coffee to make flash brews.
Hario's V60 drip coffee scale measures in 0.1 gram increments for the highest precision. It features a built-in timer and auto-off feature after 5 minutes. The slim design comfortably fits a server and is easy to clean.
- Capacity 2,000g maximum
- Charges via USB connection
- Perfect measurements
- Built-in timer
- Slim design
- Easy to clean
Hario's classic ceramic dripper produces an evenly brewed cup of coffee with a cone shaped paper filter for a deep, rich umami flavor.
- Specially designed to produce an evenly brewed cup of coffee
- Durable Japanese ceramic retains heat
- Minimalist look to suit any kitchen design or style
- Specialty cone shape and unique spiral ridges allow for deeper layering of the coffee grounds
- Hario's V60 dripper assists circulation
- Removable silicone band is cool to touch and easy to wash
- Made of the best heat resistant borosilicate glass
- Designed and manufactured in Japan
The Aeropress Original is a game-changer in the coffee world. This portable and lightweight coffee maker combines the principles of a French press and an espresso machine to give you a versatile brewing experience. With the Aeropress, you can explore a wide range of coffee styles, from rich and bold to smooth and mellow. However, it's essential to be aware of its capacity limitations and the need for paper filters. Don't just take our word for it; let's hear what coffee enthusiasts have to say about their Aeropress experiences.
- Made in the USA
- BPA and phthalate-free
- Makes 10oz (295ml) of regular coffee or 1 to 3 espresso style shots per pressing in about a minute
- Can make cold brew in just two minutes
- Professional-grade coffee right at home
- Goodbye, French press - no more bitterness or grit
- Lightweight, compact, and portable
- Fast and easy to use
- No temperature control
- Requires paper filters
- If the plunger slips it can make a large mess
- Can burn you if you the plunger slips
- Brews 8oz (237ml) of regular coffee per pressing in about a minute
- Can make espresso style shots and cold brew in two minutes
- Materials used are free of BPA and phthalates
- 1-3 servings of espresso style coffee in a minute
- Handy mug and lid
- Total control over brew time
- Easy to use
- May not be suitable for larger servings of coffee
- Rubber seals will break down over time
- If the plunger falls off it can make a large mess
- Can burn you if you the plunger falls out
This Origami dripper has a simple and beautiful appearance that's durable and doesn't fade. Similar to other brands, YZJSSL Pour over dripper has a beautiful tapered shape with several deepened longitudinal grooves and a large bottom hole that allows water to flow easily.
The cone structure of this dripper extends the coffee soaking time in hot water to bring out a strong aroma of coffee. The best part about this dripper is probably the fact that it's suitable for dishwashers and microwave ovens. While this might not be the best option if you're on a budget, it's definitely worth the price.
- Suitable for 1-2 cups of V60 filter paper
- Bottom hole diameter: 2.1cm (approx.)
- Top diameter: 11.5cm (approx.)
- Height: 7.5cm (approx.)
- Durable and does not fade
- Brings out strong coffee aroma
- Allows water to flow easily
- Dishwasher safe
Looking for a perfect dripper gift for a coffeeholic? Froiny Ceramic Origami Coffee Dripper is a great choice. It's made from ceramic which is an excellent material for preserving and conducting heat. This coffee dripper supplies a good and stable temperature, ensuring a better coffee extraction.
Froiny Origami dripper is perfect for home and commercial use. It's small in size and weighs about 7.7 ounces making it perfect for traveling. The best part about this dripper is, it makes your brew look professional and elegant.
- Material: ceramics
- Suitable for 1-2 cups filter paper V60
- Weight: 180g
- Small size and lightweight
- Suitable for 1-2 cups filter paper V60
- Made of ceramic which works well in heat preservation and heat conduction
- Does not include wooden base and coffee pot
This Vintage Wooden Base Coffee Dripper Stand is an elegant and ideal gift for coffee lovers. It is made of Sapele wood and metal, and coated in wood wax oil. The size is 21.5*15.5*24.4cm. It will take some extra production time, but the result will be perfect!
- Elegant design
- Ideal gift for coffee lovers
- Made with Sapele wood and metal
- Takes extra production time
The Makidar Pour Over Coffee Station Dripper Stand is an elegant and minimalist pour over coffee station. This high-quality stainless steel station is anti-rust, durable, and easy to clean. It has an adjustable design, making it fit most sizes of cups and mugs. It’s easy to operate and is ideal for making delicious hand-crafted coffee at home or in the office.
- Fits most size of cup or mug due to its adjustable height and angle
- Can be used at home or in the office
- Ideal gift for coffee enthusiasts
- High-quality stainless steel painted
- Anti-rust, durable and easy to clean
- Adjustable design
- Easy to operate
- Ideal for making delicious hand-crafted coffee
In order to optimally brew coffee Nullum designed the cone with a V-shape design. There is also double hole at the bottom of the V60 dripper. This ensures that the hot water can be poured slow or fast; thoroughly extracting all the goodness from the beans. The set includes a copper V60 Dripper, a Glass Server, and a Copper Measuring Spoon. The copper plates should be washed by hand and have an extremely long service life.
- Maximum heat retention
- High durability
- Capacity for 1 to 4 Cups
- Free Measuring Spoon
The BrüMate Pour Over Travel Coffee Mug is a convenient and portable option for coffee lovers who enjoy pour-over brewing. Its insulation keeps coffee hot, while its durable design makes it suitable for travel. The ability to customize your brew and the easy-to-clean features are definite advantages. However, the mug's limited capacity and the need for basic pour-over skills may be drawbacks for some. Overall, it is a great choice for those seeking a portable pour-over solution with excellent insulation.
- Convenient brewing
- Insulated design
- Portable and durable
- Easy to clean
- Limited capacity
- Pour-over brewing skills required
For experts or even amateurs who want to control their coffee taste, consider using Mocohana Ceramic Origami Coffee Dripper. It's easy to use and is designed with a wide single hole that can change your coffee's taste depending on the speed at which you pour hot water. It's also pretty sturdy — it can withstand up to 120℃ of temperature and doesn't cost much.
Suitable for 1-2 cups filter paper V60, this dripper is carved from porcelain and has 4.53 and 2.95 inch height. It comes with a cup holder that is designed to perfectly fit into most coffee filters, cups, small pots, and mugs.
- Material: Ceramic
- Cup Holder Outter Diameter: Approx. 12.1 cm / 4.76 inch
- Cup Holder Inner Diameter: Approx. 6.5 cm / 2.56 inch
- Elegant design
- Sturdy and durable
- Easy to use
- Perfect size
- Comes with cup holder
- Price may be too high for some
- Ceramic piece doesn't fit perfectly into the wooden base
How to Make Flash Brew Coffee
Flash brew coffee requires only three ingredients; fresh medium-grind coffee, hot water, and ice. The brewing equipment includes a gooseneck kettle and cone-shaped drippers like Chemex and Hario V60.
You may also want to include a thermometer to measure the water temperature, a scale to measure your coffee and a timer. Then, follow the step-by-step process below to prepare your coffee.
Next, heat the water between 195°F to 205°F using a gooseneck kettle. If you don't have one, put the hot water into a dispenser with a spout for easy pouring.
Organize the pour-over dripper with a cone filter and rinse the filter with some hot water to remove the papery taste. Place your dripper over your tumbler with about 100g of ice cubes.
Put the ground coffee in the dripper and set your timer to begin brewing. Slowly pour a little hot water in a circular motion to wet the grounds. Swirl the dripper to ensure the coffee is saturated, and let it bloom for about 45 seconds.
After blooming, pour more water and swirl the dripper to agitate the coffee.
Finally, pour the rest of the hot water slowly and complete the brewing process. Ideally, it should take about two minutes to flash brew your coffee.
Tips for Perfecting Your Flash Brew
Coffee drippers come in three shapes; trapezoid, flat bottom, and cone. The shape affects the flow rate during brewing, thus affecting the flavor of the brewed coffee. Cone-shaped drippers like Hario V60 and Chemex are the best for flash brews as they enable a faster flow rate, giving the flavor and aroma better clarity.
The brewing or coffee ratio refers to the amount of coffee relative to the water you use to brew. Thus, a 1:16 ratio means 16 grams of water for every gram of coffee. Typical ratios vary from 1:15 to 1:18, where 1:15 will produce a more concentrated brew than 1:18.
When hot water contacts coffee, it rapidly releases carbon dioxide trapped within the grounds. This reaction is called blooming and is necessary when brewing with the pour-over method to prevent the gases from souring the coffee.
The Flash brew is an alternative variety of iced coffee with a vibrant and more nuanced flavor than conventional iced coffee. It also takes less time to prepare, making it easy to brew at home with everyday equipment.
While it is not as popular as cold brew, it is beloved among specialty coffee fans. However, as more people became enthusiastic about coffee and different brewing styles, the flash brew could be a summer favorite soon.